Joining the Library
Becoming a member of Cumberland Council Library Service means you can benefit from its high-quality resources and facilities. Joining is free.
You can join by visiting your local Library branch and providing one piece of original identification that shows your residential address. You will then receive your Library card on the spot.
Suitable identification includes:
- Driver’s licence
- Photo ID card
- Health care card
- Bill or bank statement (less than three months old)
- Rental agreement
Visitors to our Libraries
If you live outside the Sydney metropolitan area, you are able to use our on-site Library facilities, such as computers and printers, without needing to join. You will need to show us some residential address identification.
Under 18s or adults with special needs
If you are under 18 years of age you are required to have a parent or guardian sign your application form at the Library branch. Proof of name and current residential address will be required.
Organisations responsible for adults with special needs must provide a letter at the time of registration. The letter must state their relationship to the applicant and their willingness to take responsibility for the use of the card.
Home Library Service
Residents of nursing homes or people who cannot visit the Library due to age, illness or disability can have items delivered to them through the Home Library Service.
Using the Library Catalogue
The Cumberland Council Library Service online catalogue helps you find the right Library resources for your needs. The catalogue allows you to:
- Find what is available in our Libraries
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items
- Requesting or reserving items, including through inter-library loans
- Access online resources, including e-books and audiobooks.
- Discover suggested reading lists, including recommended children’s’ books and the latest best-sellers
Items can be renewed twice if they are not reserved for another person. These items can be renewed over the phone at any of our Libraries in person or online.
If you have not renewed your items one week after the due date, your card will be blocked. You will need to return your items or contact staff to unblock your card.
Returning Library items
Library items, except toys, can be returned to any one of our eight Library locations, irrespective of where they were borrowed from.
All-hours return chutes are available at Auburn, Granville, Guildford, Lidcombe, Regents Park and Wentworthville Libraries.
Other conditions and information
- You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Replacement fees apply for lost, damaged or stolen items.
- Most items can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
- The following collections have lending limits:
- Ten State Library items per card
- Ten magazines per card
If you want to suggest something for the Library to add to its collection, fill out the Information Request section on our catalogue. If the item is bought for the collection, then a hold will be placed on it for you
How to Borrow
• Bring your Library card with you whenever you wish to borrow
• Download e-books and audiobooks online at holroyd.lib.overdrive.com
• Download e-magazines from our Zinio service at www.rbdigital.com/holroyd
• Borrow from the Toy Library by paying an annual membership fee
Renewing Library Items
• Items can be renewed twice if they are not reserved for another person
• Items can be renewed over the phone, in person or online at Cumberland Council Library Catalogue
If you have not renewed your items one week after the due date, your card will be blocked. You will need to return your items or contact staff to unlock your card.
Returning Library Items
• Library items can be returned by any one of our 8 Libraries
• Toys must be returned to the Toy Desk at Wentworthville Library
• An All Hours Return Chute is available at Wentworthville Library. It is located near the Lane Street entrance
Requesting or Reserving Items
You can place a hold on an item using the Library’s catalogue. Any items not currently held by the Library can be requested as an inter-library loan or you can recommend that we add it to our collection.
Lost, Damaged or Stolen Items
You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Replacement fees apply for lost, damaged or stolen items.
All items, except Toy Library items, can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
The following collections have lending limits:
- 10 State Library items per card
- 10 magazines per card
- Toys as per subscription
How many holds am I allowed?
You are allowed to have 10 holds per card. Holds will be held at the nominated branch for 7 days.
To access our online services and your account, use your Library card as your logon ID. Your password is your date of birth entered as YYMMDD.
To login to your Library Account you will need your card number and password.
Your card number can be found under the barcode of your library card. It starts with the letter P.
Your password is your date of birth in reverse – YYMMDD
Example: If you were born on 8 June 1982 your password would be 820608
If you have an Auburn Library card, your card number can be found under the barcode on the back of your library card. It starts with the letter A, 15 or 2144.
Your password is your year of birth.
Example: If you were born in 1982 your password would be 1982
If you have any problems logging in to your account, please phone your nearest branch.