Planning and development in NSW is carried out under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.
As well as development assessment provisions, the Act also provides for the making of Environmental Planning Instruments, which are legal documents that regulate land use and development. These planning instruments are State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) which are administered by the State Government, and Local Environment Plans (LEPs) which are administered by local Councils.
The Act also provides for public participation in planning decisions, amongst various other provisions.
A list of SEPPs and Deemed SEPPs (formerly Regional Environmental Plans) is provided in the NSW Planning Portal.
- Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979
- SEPPs and Deemed SEPPs
- NSW Government legislation website
- NSW Government planning department
Planning Proposals (Rezoning Requests)
Council may consider requests to rezone land by amending the Local Environmental Plans (LEPs) applying to the Cumberland LGA where they are justified and are supported by sound planning arguments and evidence.
LEPs provide the legislative framework for land use and development in a Local Government Area (LGA) through land use zones and planning controls. LEPs consist of a written instrument and a series of maps. Within the Cumberland Local Government Area the following LEPs apply:
Anyone wishing to propose an amendment to any LEP within the Cumberland Local Government Area should contact the Council’s Strategic Planning section prior to the lodging any application to discuss the rezoning process, information requirements and the merits of what is proposed.
All planning proposals and amendments to LEPs can be viewed in the State Government’s LEP Tracking System.
For further information regarding the planning proposal process refer to the State Government’s “A guide to preparing planning proposals”.
Planning Proposals that are currently open for community consultation can be viewed under the ‘Have Your Say’ section of this website while Planning Proposals for which community consultation has recently been completed can be viewed below:
Recent Planning Proposals & Matters
- Planning Proposal of North Auburn (revised) – (PP-4/2012)
- Planning Proposal, amendments to Holroyd Development Control Plan 2013 and Design Excellence Guidelines – Merrylands Station & McFarlane Street Precinct, Merrylands
- Planning Proposal and amendments to Holroyd Development Control Plan 2013 – Neil Street Precinct, Merrylands
- Preliminary Consultation – Planning Proposal Request, 2 Railway Street and 3-7 East Street, Lidcombe
- Preliminary Consultation – Planning Proposal Request, Lot 11 DP 1162280, Butu Wargun Drive, Pemulwuy
Cumberland Planning Policies
The following Planning Policies apply to the Cumberland Local Government Area:
Other Planning Policies and Guidelines
- Development Control Plan
- State Environment Planning Policies
- Local Plans and Policies
- Section 94 Development Contributions