We're hosting two candidate briefing online sessions at the following dates:
- Tuesday 13 July 2021 from 6pm to 9pm
- Tuesday 20 July 2021 from 6pm to 9pm
Michael McMahon on behalf of Local Government NSW Learning Solutions, will facilitate the workshops.
About the workshop
If you’re interested in becoming a councillor, this will help you gain a better understanding of the role and responsibilities of a member of council and understand the level of commitment required. It will provide you with the information you need to make a considered decision.
- The benefits and importance of Local Government
- Understanding the role of council and the role of the councillor
- A typical council structure
- Challenges of the role and how to meet them
- The importance of diverse representation on council
- Importance of speaking out on key issues and how to do this confidently
- Meeting procedures and rules of debate
- Support available including information and networks
- Introduction to local government jargon and what it means
- Putting it together: making the commitment
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the key requirements for becoming a councillor
- Recognise how the councillor role fits in with other roles and various levels of government
- Address their key expectations and potential challenges in becoming a councillor
- Know how the councillor role fits in with the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework
- Identify key elements of council meetings, including code of conduct and conflict of interest
Registrations and enquiries
Registration is essential.
To register your attendance at one of these online sessions and/or to make an enquiry, please contact Carol Karaki, Senior Coordinator Governance & Civic Events by:
Phone: 02 8757 9427 or
Check my enrolment
Check your voting enrolment details - visit the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website.