2020 Cumberland Art Awards
Cumberland City Council and the Peacock Gallery are excited to announce that the 2020 Cumberland Art Awards (CAA’s) are now open for our local arts community to submit artwork, as part of our annual art awards competition.
Council values the unique creative capacity of our local community, and has committed a total of $7000 in prizes towards four awards across visual arts. This includes a 3 month artist residency as part of the ‘Emerging Artist Award’ valued at $1500 at the new developing Peacock Studio Precinct in 2021.
Who can enter
Council invites developing, emerging and mid-career artists from the ages of 15+ in our Local Government Area to participate and submit an online application by Tuesday 25 February 2020.
For more information on how to apply please read the Terms and Conditions of Entry form and then submit an online application below.
About the awards
Cumberland Art Awards has been running for 10 years and is an opportunity to support our local artists by showcasing new work in a professional gallery as well as developing stronger connections to arts and cultural practice for the local Cumberland community.
The different awards honour local artists and their artworks that best represent an Outstanding Artistic Practice and include Youth And Emerging Practice.
The Cumberland Art Awards Expressions of Interest is open to everyone and we encourage all to apply.
What the awards are
What: Cumberland Art Awards is a selective artwork competition that enables professional development of local artists working across visual art mediums, including sculpture and photography. The competition accepts submissions of 2D or 3D visual artworks from the local Cumberland community. 2020 Cumberland Art Award judges will select finalists to be exhibited in Council’s Peacock Gallery.
When the awards take place
Key Exhibition and Award Ceremony Dates:
- Exhibition runs from Saturday 4 April to Sunday 10 May 2020
- Awards Presentation Day and Exhibition Launch Ceremony Saturday 4 April 2019 from 1:30 to 3:30pm at the Peacock Gallery in the Auburn Botanic Gardens.
How to enter the awards
- To enter download and read the Terms and Conditions of Entry form to submit an artwork for consideration.
- Choose your artwork you would like to enter into the completion.
- Take a good quality digital photograph of your work as you will need to upload it on the online application below.
- Address any Parent/Guardian Consent and Permission to Publish where applicable.
- Fill in and submit an online application by Tuesday 25 February 2020. You will be notified by Wednesday 11 March 2020 if you are an exhibiting finalist.
- If you have been selected as a finalist you will need to deliver your physical artwork to one of the locations below by the due dates.
- Download a Photography Permission Form (PDF 90KB)
- Download a Parent/Guardian Consent Form for artists of 15 to 18 years of age. (PDF 77.4KB)
Why we run the awards
Why: For local developing, emerging and mid-career artists to receive Cumberland City Council and Peacock Gallery recognition, and financial support for best arts practice within our Local Government Area.
Join us for the Awards Presentation Day and Exhibition Launch Ceremony
|Cumberland Art Award||Awarded for the most outstanding artwork.||$3000 (non-acquisitive)|
|Emerging Artist Award||Awarded for the most outstanding artwork as an emerging artist.||$1000 (non-acquisitive) along with studio space for up to 3 months - valued at $1500.|
|Youth Art Award||Awarded for the most outstanding artwork created by a person aged between 15 to 25 years old.||$1000 (non-acquisitive)|
|People's Art Choice Award||Voted by visitors to the exhibition and selected for the most number of votes. Announced at the conclusion of the exhibition.||$500 (non-acquisitive)|
Information you need to know
- There is no entry fee to participate in this competition
- Only one artwork per artist can be submitted to this competition
- Entry is open to artists aged 15 years and over (as at February 2020) with parent and or guardian consent for those Under 18
- All work submitted must be the artist’s own original work and executed between March 2019 and March 2020
- Cumberland Art Awards is for visual 2D and 3D works in any medium
- All Two Dimensional 2-D artworks must be dry, framed and or professionally presented
- All Three Dimensional (sculptural) 3D artworks must be suitable for easy installation by one person and no heavier than 30kg
- Maximum dimensions for 2D and 3D works Height 100cm x Width 100cm x Length 100cm applies to all artworks, inclusive of framing (where appropriate)
- IDENTIFICATION - Each artwork must have the artist’s name, address, contact number and title of work securely attached to the back
- Artists are required to provide and upload a digital image of their artwork in JPG format at 300dpi in the online application form
- To find out more about sales of work / insurance value please carefully read the 2020 Cumberland Art Awards Terms and Conditions of Entry form below.
How to apply
- Make sure you download and read the 2020 Cumberland Art Awards Terms and Conditions of Entry before starting your online application.
- If you are 15 years and Under 18 please print out the Parent/Guardian Consent Form and have a parent or guardian sign. The signed form can be scanned and then uploaded with your online application or delivered in hard copy when you drop-off your artwork if you are a selected finalist.
- Have a quality digital image file of your artwork in JPG format at 300dpi to upload in your online application.
- Start your online Cumberland Art Awards application submission form via Smartygrants.
- Create a login with your email address and a password.
- Fill in all required information about who you are, your artwork details, upload digital image file and (if applicable) upload your Parent/Guardian Consent Form, if you are not dropping this off in person.
- Be sure to SAVE as you progress through the form.
- Once you have finished make sure your SUBMIT your Cumberland Art Awards form online by no later than 11pm on Tuesday 25 February 2020.
- You can download and print out a PDF of your application for your reference.
- Drop-off your artwork to the locations below on the due dates.
- Make sure you RSVP for the Awards ceremony on Saturday 4 April 2020.
Delivery of your artwork
If you are a Cumberland Art Awards Finalist please make sure you deliver your artwork to either of the locations below on the delivery dates provided:
- Peacock Gallery (Cnr Chiswick and Chisholm Roads, Auburn) on Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 March 2020 from 11am to 4pm
- Auburn Library (1 Susan Street, Auburn) on Monday 16 March 2020 (only) from 9.30am to 4pm
For more information or support with filling in the online application form please email the Peacock Gallery or call 02 8745 9029 before Tuesday 25 February 2020. We'll be pleased to make a time to assist.