The Cumberland Kids Pitch is a competition that aims to improve health outcomes for children and young people in Cumberland City. This competition is open to all primary and high schools located in the Cumberland Local Government Area (LGA).
Students can research a sport and recreation program and create a pitch to let us know this should be run at their school. The program aims and objectives are to support long term health outcomes by:
- Improving children/young people’s health through participation in physical activity and encouraging long term behaviour change.
- Encouraging and inspiring healthy eating and healthy food choices through education and motivation.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 12 June 2020.
Prizes for the winning ideas
The winning student will receive $300 to spend on sports equipment to help run the initiative at their school. The initiative is also added to the Healthy Kids Initiative programming that Council offers local schools.
One runner up student will win a $200 multisport equipment voucher to support sport and fitness at their school.
Guidelines / Terms and Conditions
How to enter
The student with the best ideas for implementing a healthy kids program will win the opportunity to make it happen at their school for their class.
Here’s how to put together your application:
- Come up with an idea for a Healthy Kids program at home.
- Plan how you would run the project at your school.
- Prepare your pitch and present this in a 2-minute video. This can be recorded on a smartphone as the quality of the video is not being judged. The pitch can also be presented in a Powerpoint presentation, report, story or photograph.
- In your pitch application, you need to explain or demonstrate how your idea will encourage healthy eating and increase physical activity of the students at your school.
- Fill in the application form, addressing all the key information.
- Submit your application to Council by 5pm, Friday 12 June 2020.
There are 2 parts to the application:
- Your pitch video, Powerpoint, report, story or photograph
- Completed, signed and approved application form
How to submit your application
You can submit your application via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to PO Box 42, Merrylands NSW 2160
If you are submitting a video you must upload and submit both the video and the application form together using WeTransfer. You can use WeTransfer on a desktop computer, laptop or mobile device.
When your entry is ready to submit:
- Go to the WeTransfer website and click ‘add your files’.
- Select and upload your application form and video file.
- Add email@example.com to ‘Email to’. Note: You can add up to 3 email addresses here.
- Add your email address in the ‘Your email’ field.
- In the Message field, include ‘Healthy Kids Pitch Entry’ followed by the name of your school.
- Then click ‘Transfer’.
- You will receive an email notification that your files have been sent. If you don’t receive a notification contact us.
- Your 2 files should not be over 2GB in order to use the free WeTransfer service.
Terms and Conditions of the Healthy Kids Pitch Competition
Who can apply
To enter, you must be a primary or high school student in Cumberland Local Government Area (LGA).
Who cannot apply
Businesses and not for profit organisations cannot apply to enter the competition. Schools located outside the Cumberland LGA are not eligible.
All applications are to be submitted online. See ‘How to submit your application’ above.
Once an applicant has been submitted an application:
- The applicant will receive an email confirming receipt of the application from a Council representative.
- Submitted applications will be kept confidential and contents will not be disclosed to any person outside the application and assessment process without prior approval.
- The successful applicants will be published on the Council website during July 2020.
- Submitted video pitches may be shared on Council’s social media channels (with permission) when entries have closed.
Please note: By entering the Cumberland Healthy Kids Pitch competition you accept your video may be used by Cumberland City Council for promotional purposes.
- Each application will be reviewed to confirm the student’s eligibility.
- All eligible video entries will be viewed and assessed by a panel comprising of community, sports, health and Council representatives.
- Only the content and idea in the video will be judged, not the production quality of the pitch
- The selection panel will create a shortlist.
- The panel may seek further clarification about your project idea, how it will be implemented and how this will contribute to long term change.
Applications will be assessed using the following criteria:
Winner notification and payment of funds
The winning students and their schools will be notified in writing on Monday 29 June 2020.
Relevant paperwork will need to be completed by Wednesday 1 July 2020 so that payments can be made by mid-July 2020.
Prize agreement and payments
If you are successful in obtaining the prize, Council will send a prize agreement that must be completed and returned prior to prizes being provided.
Prize agreements will include the following information:
- Project title and description
- Prize amount provided by Council
- Payment dates
- Details of special conditions placed on the project