Skip to main content

Animals and Pets

What does Council do with stray cats and dogs ?

Council employs a dedicated Animal Impounding Officer whose job is to locate straying dogs (in particular) and attempt to reunite them with their owner.

When the Impounding Officer locates a stray cat or dog, the first thing they do is to scan the animal and see if it has a microchip.

If the pet is not microchipped, it will be taken to the Blacktown Animal Holding Facility where it will be held for 7 days before it can legally be sold to another owner or euthanased.

If the cat or dog is microchipped the following will occur:

  • Using the microchip number, they will extract the owners contact details from the NSW Companion Animals Database. They will then attempt to contact the owner
  • If they are able to make contact with the owner, arrangements will be made to return the animal to its home
  • If they are unable to contact the owner, a card will be left at the owners address advising that the animal has been taken to the Blacktown Animal Holding Facility
  • After being held at this facility for 14 days, the animal can legally be sold to another person or euthanased.

Even though non-microchipped and microchipped dogs are only legally required to be held for 7 and 14 days respectively, Council’s Low Kill Policy dictates that they are held indefinitely in order to give them a greater chance to be rehomed and avoid euthanasia.

Dogs are only euthanased if they are not considered suitable for rehoming, are aged, frail or ill. In these cases it is considered more humane to have them euthanased rather than holding them indefinitely in the pound environment when rehoming is not likely.

Where are the off-leash dog areas (dog parks) ?

Cumberland Council has eight dedicated off-leash parks for dogs located at:

  • Hampden Road Reserve - 8 Hampden Road, South Wentworthville - includes fencing, a drinking fountain and bowl for dogs, dog exercise equipment and shade trees
  • Dirrabari Reserve, Pemulwuy - Access from the southeastern corner of Edward Drive, Pemulwuy - includes fencing, dog exercise equipment and shade trees
  • Gardenia Parade Park, Greystanes - Access from the northern end of Percival Road, Greystanes - open fenced area
  • Wyatt Park Off-Leash Dog Area
  • Deakin Park Silverwater Off-Leash Dog Area
  • Webbs Avenue Auburn Off-Leash Dog Area
  • Coleman Park Berala Off-Leash Dog Area
  • Pierre de Coubertin Off-Leash Dog Area

For your convenience, Council has provided dog litter bins in each of the off-leash exercise areas. The law requires you to have your dog under effective control at all times and dispose of dog faeces in a suitable manner. Failure to comply can result in an on-the-spot fine.

What is the Companion Animals Act 1998 ?

The Companion Animals Act 1998 requires that when a dog is off its property it must be under the effective control of a competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash. This is unless it is in a specified off-leash area.

Whilst your dog is off its leash in these areas it must be kept within the area enclosed by the fence.

All other requirements of the Companion Animals Act 1998 regarding your responsibilities still apply including:

  • Ensuring that your dog does not harm or threaten any other person or animal
  • Dog droppings are removed and disposed of in the dog waste litter bins provided.

Council’s Ordinance Inspectors keep these areas under observation and, for the benefit of those using the area responsibly, will issue on-the-spot fines to any person in charge of a dog who fails to comply with their responsibilities.

For more information about your responsibilities see the Companion Animals Act 1998.

What happens to animals taken to Blacktown Animal Holding Facility ?

If an animal is microchipped or is wearing a collar and tag with the owner’s details, and the owner can be contacted then the owner is both phoned and sent a registered letter to inform them their pet has been impounded and how they can collect them. The dog or cat will be kept for fourteen days waiting for their owner to claim them.

Dogs and cats that have no identification are legally required to be kept only for seven days but where possible Council, under the Low Kill Policy, extends this period to find new homes for suitable dogs.

The Blacktown Animal Holding Facility is at 415 Flushcombe Road, Blacktown, phone 9839 6160.

What should I do if my pet goes missing ?

Losing your pet can be a very stressful and emotional time but there are things that you need to do to improve your chances of being reunited with your pet.

The following ideas may help you find your pet:

  • Visit the Blacktown Animal Holding Facility on a regular basis at 415 Flushcombe Road, Blacktown. This is especially important if your pet is not microchipped. You can also ring them on 9839 6160 or 9839 6161.
  • Check with your neighbours
  • Check with local vets to see if any stray/injured animals have been handed into them.
  • Check the local papers lost and found ads – you can even put an ad in the paper yourself.
  • There are many websites established now designed as noticeboards for lost and found animals. Search for these sites and list your pet on them.

For more information about what you can do when your pet goes missing, contact Council on 8757 9000.

How do I microchip and register my pet ?

The Companion Animals Act requires you to have your dog and cat microchipped, and then pay the lifetime registration fee.

Microchipping is essential if a pet goes missing. If someone finds a cat or dog it will be scanned for the chip number linked to the registered details of the owner. The pet’s owner can then be contacted and the pet returned.

For all companion animal microchipping and registration details, including payment options, please refer to the Office of Local Governments website.

Responsible ownership

Although not legislated, desexing of your cat is strongly recommended.

There are many benefits associated with desexing your cat which includes a reduction in:

  • Wandering (and the stress for the owner that goes with it!);
  • The risk of (expensive) injuries resulting from cat fights;
  • The cost of registering your animal by $140 (even more if you are a pensioner);
  • The risk of getting cancer or other diseases of the reproductive organs;
  • Anti-social behaviours like spraying and yowling; and
  • The euthanasia of innocent unwanted animals(thousands every year in our local pound alone).

Cats often become more affectionate, are better companions and generally live longer, healthier lives if desexed.

Tips for cat owners

Your cat needs lots of love and affection, company, a regular supply of food and fresh drinking water as well as regular vet check ups (including vaccinations, worming and flea treatments). You can get more Information for Cat Owners as well as the following:

  • Update the contact details kept on your pet’s microchip
  • At a minimum make sure that your cat/s are kept inside at night. This will protect your cat – which is more likely to be injured in fights and by cars at night – as well as native wildlife
  • Make sure your cat wears a collar with a name tag
  • Make sure your cat wears a bell (or 2 or 3) on its collar
  • If you have an indoor cat make sure it has enough stimulus during the day, like toys to play with… even leaving the radio on can help!
  • Remember that cats can get pregnant from 4 months of age and can have up to 3 litters a year

If your cat is missing there are things you can do to find your pet.

Tips for dog owners

Your dog needs lots of love and affection, company, a regular supply of food and fresh drinking water as well as regular vet check ups (including vaccinations, worming and flea treatments). Try the following, along with this Information for Dog Owners :

  • Update the contact details kept on your pet’s microchip
  • Make sure your dog has enough to keep it occupied when you are not at home. This will minimise the risk of barking complaints as well as keeping your dog happy while you are not there
  • Walk your dog daily; your dog should be exercised for at least half an hour per day,
  • When walking your dog it must always be on a leash and under effective control except when in a designated Off-Leash area,
  • Clean up after your pet has had a toilet break within your property and also when in public places

Implement early behavioural training of your dog to influence traits such as;

  • Barking
  • Territorial boundaries
  • Socialising skills
  • Make sure your dog wears a collar and tag with your contact details on it

Blacktown Animal Holding Facility

In most cases stray and surrendered animals collected by Council are taken to the Blacktown Animal Holding Facility

If you’d like to adopt a pet consider calling and visiting the facility. There is an online list of animals recently impounded.

Address: 415 Flushcombe Road, Blacktown (corner of Flushcombe Road and Great Western Highway)

Phone: 9839 6160 or 9839 6161

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturdays 9am to 1pm, Sundays 9am to 11am

Website: Blacktown Animal Holding Facility

What happens when an animal is taken to the Blacktown Animal Holding Facility?

On arrival at the Animal Holding Facility dogs and cats are scanned for a microchip by Animal Holding Facility staff. If a microchip is located then the details of the owner of the dog or cat is obtained from the Companion Animals Register.

Animal Holding Facility staff will then attempt to contact the owner by telephone. The owner is advised that their dog or cat has been impounded and what they have to do to have the animal released.

Where telephone contact cannot be made, the Animal Holding Facility sends a registered letter to the owner advising of the impoundment and the procedures to have the dog or cat released. A registered letter is also sent to owners that have been contacted by telephone.

Dogs and cats identified in this way, or alternatively that have no microchip but are wearing a collar and tag with the owner’s details, are kept at the Animal Holding Facility for 14 days awaiting their owner to claim them.

Dogs or cats without any identification are only kept for seven days. Dogs are kept in kennels during this period. There are six blocks of kennels with each block containing twelve kennels. Each council’s dogs are not kennelled separately but are kennelled according to temperament, size and behaviour compatibility.

In past years, dogs that had reached the end of the holding period without being claimed or sold were “humanely” destroyed by euthanasia. However, Blacktown City Council has now introduced initiatives that result in a significant proportion of unclaimed dogs being re-homed.

These initiatives include:

  • All dogs taken to Blacktown City Council Animal Holding Facility are available for purchase. The purchase price is a set price and includes microchipping, lifetime registration, compulsory desexing, vaccination and vet check.
  • Dogs that are not sold and are considered suitable for re-homing, may be taken by welfare groups or kept longer in the hope that they will be re-homed, however, they cannot be kept for too long due to the numbers of dogs continually arriving at the Animal Holding Facility.

Being a volunteer at Blacktown’s Animal Holding Facility is a very rewarding experience. Volunteers assist and support staff by caring for the welfare of the animals.

Volunteers can help with a number of activities including:

To find out more phone 9839 6161.

  • washing and grooming
  • walking and exercising dogs
  • socialising animals

What can I do if I see a dead animal ?

Animals such as cats and dogs found deceased on the road or in a public place should be reported for removal by phoning Council on 8757 9000. Calls to this number after normal business hours or on weekends and public holidays will be answered by Council’s paging service and your message will then be transmitted to a Council Officer. Please note the location of the animal, advise Council and the animal will be removed as soon as possible.

Please note that Council does not remove deceased animals from the M4 Freeway. This is an RMS request and should be referred to that authority by phoning 13 22 13.