Impacted by storms and floods?
There are financial grants and support available from both the NSW Government and the Australian Government.
As floods continue to impact many communities across NSW, it is important that people stay up to date with emergency warnings, stay safe when returning to their properties and access the support and services that are available.
- Disaster Assistance Finder: Find financial and other support available to you.
- Emergency accommodation: Accommodation assistance is available if your home has been affected by the floods.
- Temporary housing support: If you are unable to live in your home, you can register your interest for help with rental support and temporary housing.
- Clean-up assistance: Discover who can help you clean up and how to stay safe during clean up. Remember as soon as it is safe to do so take photos of the damage to your home or premises.
- Support for people: Immediate financial help and payments are available to people living in disaster-declared areas.
- Support for businesses: Assistance, loans and other support is available for businesses, including small businesses, and not-for-profits affected by floods.
- Storm and Flood Disaster Recovery Small Business Grants: If you're a small business or a not-for-profit organisation and you've been directly impacted by storms and floods, you may be eligible for a storm and flood disaster recovery small business grant.
- Support for farmers: Get immediate help with livestock, find financial support for primary producers and other payments.
- Recovery centres: Dedicated community recovery centres are being set up to provide face-to-face support for affected NSW residents. Find your nearest flood evacuation centre for immediate support.
- Emotional and trauma support: Natural disasters, cleaning up and recovery can take a toll on your mental and physical health. Learn about support available and how to look after your own and your loved ones' wellbeing.
Call Service NSW on 13 77 88 for more information on available services and support, including emergency accommodation, financial assistance, insurance advice or help replacing lost identification. For more information about maintaining health during and after floods and storms, visit nsw.gov.au. To find flood and storm advice in your language, visit the SES website.
Services Australia have a lump sum payment available to help people seriously affected by the NSW floods. Call the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66, claim via your myGov account or visit Services Australia to find out more about this payment.
Returning to your property after a flood: what you need to know
As extreme weather and floods continue to impact our community, it is critical that people are aware of the risks of floodwater and take care, particularly when returning to their homes and businesses.
If you have been evacuated, ensure you receive an All Clear issued by NSW State Emergency Service (SES) and take all the necessary health and safety precautions when returning to your property.
Staying safe and healthy
Floodwater and leftover debris may be contaminated with sewage. To prevent illness, minimise contact with floodwater and wear protective clothing, including boots, gloves and eye protection. Avoid swimming in rivers, lagoons and estuaries for at least three days after heavy rain. Avoid mosquito bites by covering up while outside with loose, light-coloured clothing and covered footwear, avoiding being outdoors at dawn and dusk and applying insect repellent on exposed skin that contains DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
The NSW Government has developed a fact sheet with information on protecting your health and safety after a flood, including information on cleaning up your house and yard. More resources can be found on the SES website.
Reach out for support
By calling Service NSW on 13 77 88 you can be connected to services and support, including emergency accommodation, financial assistance, insurance advice or help replacing lost identification. Local businesses may be eligible for Disaster Relief Assistance and support from the NSW Government. For more information visit the Service NSW storms and floods business information hub.
Mental health support is available. Call the 24-hour NSW Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511 or visit nsw.gov.au for information.
For more information about maintaining health during and after floods and storms, visit nsw.gov.au.
Other helpful links
- NSW Floods information and support services
- Flood warnings, alerts and community advice in your area
- Maintaining health during and after floods and storms
- Emotional and trauma support after a flood
- Information about road closures due to floods or phone 132 701
- Free translation and interpreter 24-hour helpline TIS National 131 450.