Becoming a member of Cumberland Council Library Service means you can benefit from its high-quality resources and facilities. Joining is free.
Joining the Library
Join Cumberland Council Library Service online and your temporary membership gives you immediate access e-Resources and reservations/requests up to 10 items. Please read below the Conditions of Membership.
Complete the Join Online registration form and click Register. Note: fields marked with an asterisk* must be completed.
This temporary membership will expire in 30 days.
To gain full library privileges you will need to visit a branch of Cumberland Library Service to confirm your identity.
Membership applications must be signed by a parent or guardian if applicant is under 16.
You will be asked to provide ONE current form of identification that shows your full name and current residential address
- Driver’s Licence
- Current Health Care Card
- Rates notice
- Telephone, electricity, or gas bill less than 3 months old
- Bank statement less than 3 months old
- Rental agreement less than 3 months old
- Government agency letter
Library staff may ask for variations of identification as required.
Conditions of membership:
- Membership of the Library is free (except for the Toy Library) and available to anyone living, working or studying within the Sydney metropolitan area
- The Library will send reminder, overdue and reservation notices to you via post, email or SMS.
- Library membership will be considered inactive if not used for 2 years.
- Membership applications must be signed by a parent or guardian if applicant is under 16
- Parents/guardians agree to monitor young people’s selection and use of Library resources, including print, audio-visual, and the Internet
- Library staff do not provide supervision for any children in the Library
- If children are left unattended the relevant authorities will be notified
As a Library member I agree to:
- Pay any charges that apply if library material is lost or returned damaged
- Abide by all Cumberland Council guidelines, procedures and policies. I agree to abide by the Library Act (1939) and Library Regulation 2010.
- Abide by Copyright Laws when accessing Library materials and equipment.
- Ensure that the information given on the application form is correct and that I will inform the Library if my details change. I will provide the required identification.
- Abide by the Library Customer Code of Conduct, and understand that repeated or serious breaches of the code may result in suspension of my membership and/or legal action
- Take full responsibility for all activity on my library card, and agree to immediately report if my card is lost or stolen
Cumberland Council Privacy Note
Information provided to Council in correspondence, submissions or requests, including your personal information, may be made publicly available, including on Council's website, under the GIPA Act. Please notify us if you object to the disclosure of your personal information.
You may make an application for access or amendments to your personal information held by Council under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) or the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act). You may also make a request that Council suppress your personal information from a public register. Council will consider any such application in accordance with the PPIP Act.
Requesting or Reserving Items
Inter-Library Loans ILL
An Inter-Library loan (ILL) is a way of obtaining material that may not be available at Cumberland Libraries.
- ILL requests need to be submitted using the online ILL request module on the Library catalogue or by talking to Library staff at one of the Library’s service points.
- Normally, we can obtain ILL items within 2-3 weeks, however, harder to locate or rare items may take longer.
- The Library may attempt to purchase newer (less than two years old) or ‘high-demand’ items rather than placing an ILL request.
- We may be unable to complete requests for microfiche, serials, reference works and rare items.
- ILL’s have a loan period of three weeks, with one renewal permitted subject to approval from the lending library.
- You can have up to five ILL items on your library card at a time.
- Renewals can be done by the customer in person at any Library service point or by phoning one of the Library branches.
- The Library will endeavour to supply ILL’s free of charge, however, charges may apply to materials acquired from institutions outside the NSW public library network. We will inform you of any applicable charges before placing a request.
Recommend to Order
Want to suggest something for the Library to add to its collection? Fill out the online form. If the item is purchased for the collection*, a hold will be placed on the item for you.
You must have a valid membership of Cumberland Libraries to place an ILL request or a ‘Recommend to Order’ request.
* The Library will only consider purchasing items that fall within the Library’s Collection Development Guidelines.
Lost, damaged or stolen items
You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Replacement fees apply for lost, damaged or stolen items.
All items, except Toy Library items, can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
The following collections have lending limits:
- 10 State Library items per card
- 10 magazines per card
- Toys as per subscription
How many holds am I allowed?
You are allowed to have 10 holds per card. Holds will be held at the nominated branch for 7 days.
To access our online services and your account, use your Library card as your logon ID. Your password is your date of birth entered as YYMMDD.
Using the Library Catalogue
The Cumberland Council Library Service online catalogue helps you find the right Library resources for your needs. The catalogue allows you to:
- Find what is available in our Libraries
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items
- Requesting or reserving items, including through inter-library loans
- Access online resources, including e-books and audiobooks.
- Discover suggested reading lists, including recommended children’s’ books and the latest best-sellers