Only a very small part of Fairfield falls within the Cumberland Local Government area. Fairfield was probably first seen by Europeans when Watkin Tench, officer of marines and a keen explorer, climbed Prospect Hill. On 8 August 1807 Gabriel Louis Marie Huon de Kerrileau received a grant of 100 acres in the centre of present day Fairfield which he called Castel Paul. In 1840 Captain John Horsley bought Castel Paul and renamed the property Fairfield after the family estate in Somerset. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2145. The name Girraween is an Aboriginal word for “the place where flowers grow”. Girraween first became settled in the early 1900’s. Prior to that the area formed part of what was known as Major Wentworth’s Farm. Dr. D’Arcy Wentworth arrived as the surgeon on the Second Fleet convict transport “Neptune” in 1790 and was one of the early settlers. He received land grants amounting to 2,750 acres which extended over most of Toongabbie, Girraween, Pendle Hill, Wentworthville and some of Greystanes. Development as an independent suburb began in 1910 when land was subdivided and sold by real estate developer Arthur Rickard. The initial lots sold rapidly, some were later sold at much higher prices. Girraween was originally a street name in that subdivision, which had been named Toongabbie Park, but when the post office opened, it took the name of Girraween, which also became the suburb’s name.The School of Arts was founded in 1918 and it played an important part in the social life of Girraween. The Anglican and Catholic Churches held their first services in it. Girraween School also held their first classes there. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2142. In 1855 Granville was known as Parramatta Junction because it was then the end of the railway line from Sydney to Parramatta. It retained that name until 1880 when 2 public meetings voted that the name be changed. The name of Granville, in honour of the Earl of Granville, a former colonial secretary was selected. The present suburb stands on grants once issued to John Harris, Garnham Blaxcell, William Lawson and W.C. Wentworth. The largest was Blaxcell’s grant of 1,125 acres which he received in 1806. The tenth Governor of New South Wales, Charles FitzRoy, set up a hunt club in Granville in the late 1840s to pursue the wild dogs that infested the area. The main road in the area was called Dog Trap Road until 1879 when it became Woodville Road. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2145. Greystanes takes its name from a historical home on Prospect Hill, built by Nelson Lawson, third child of Lieutenant William Lawson. The house was demolished on 1946. The name “Grey Stanes” given by Nelson Simmons Lawson comes from the outcrop of basalt on Prospect Hill. “Grey” being its colour and “Stanes” being Scottish for stones. The land was originally granted to Lieutenant William Cummings in 1799, before being acquired by William Lawson in approximately 1810. It was from this land that William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Charles Wentworth set out on their successful crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813 and discovered the Bathurst Plains. The Lawson family crypt still exists at St. Bartholomew’s Church, Prospect. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Part of the district of Greystanes, located between present day Hyland Road and the Aqueduct, was once known as Boothtown. This was the name of the property owned by John and Hannah Booth. John was one of the Municipality of Prospect & Sherwood’s original Aldermen, and Mayor from 1880 to 1888. John’s brother Joseph was also an Alderman and Mayor of Prospect & Sherwood and both brothers were also Aldermen of Parramatta Borough Council. Another brother Samuel, briefly Council Clerk of Prospect & Sherwood, operated a store and post office at Boothtown, and provided part of his property for the use of the Boothtown tent school in 1882, for the children of workers on the Upper Nepean Scheme project. John and his family were affected by the depression of the 1890s and were forced to sell their property. John refused to leave the property and rented it back for £5 per week. John died in July 1900, leaving Hannah with eight children. Hannah was forced to sell many of the family’s possessions and move from the property. Today Boothtown is remembered by the Aqueduct and by Boothtown Reserve. The reserve is located on part of the original Booth property on Gipps Road. A ceremony was held on Sunday 22 May 1983 to dedicate the reserve, with many of the Booth family in attendance. Sources: Booth, Elizabeth, Memories of the Booth Family of the Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood [sound recording], Holroyd Oral History Project, recorded 14 October 1990. Ruhen, Carl, Holroyd: centenary 1872-1972, Horwitz, 1972. Karskens, Grace, Holroyd: a special history of Western Sydney, NSW University Press, 1991.
Postcode : 2161. Lieutenant Samuel North, an ex military officer and civil servant, was granted 640 acres of land in 1837 as recognition of the length of time (15 years) he had served in the army. He called it Guildford after a relative of his, the Earl of Guildford of Surrey, England. Wild dogs roamed the area at this time and a system was evolved to trap them and rid Guildford of these pests. The Dog Trap Road (now Woodville Road) was so named because of traps set along its length. In 1867, Guildford Post Office was opened on Dog Trap Road. Prior to that the few residents of the area were listed as being within the Fairfield postal district. In 1871 a provisional school for young children, on the corner of Orchardleigh and Dog Trap Roads was opened. The Railway station opened in 1876. Guildford bears the same name as the town in Surrey, and the roads between Guildford and Merrylands were named after Surrey places, for instance Chertsey Road, St. Ann’s Hill Road, Surrey Terrace and Addlestone Road. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988
The former Holroyd Local Government Area was incorporated on 5 July 1872 as the Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood. The name was changed by proclamation of the Governor dated 11 January 1927 to the Municipality of Holroyd to honour the first Mayor, Alderman Judge Arthur Todd Holroyd. The suburb of Holroyd, comprising an area bordered by Neil Street, Pitt Street, Walpole Street and the rail line, encompassing the Holroyd Gardens Development, was gazetted on 10 June 1994. The suburb was extended to the north by gazettal on 15 October 1999 to include the area bordered by Walpole Street, Pitt Street, the Western Freeway (M4) as the northern boundary, Church Street, Woodville Road and the rail line. This suburb has also been known as Granville West and Merrylands.
Postcode : 2145. Thomas May was one of the purchasers of land in 1859 when the first subdivision was made of the government domain surrounding Government House at Parramatta. He built his house, Park Lodge, on a hill on the property. The area in those days was characterised by citrus orchards. Mays Hill was where the Council held its first meeting and subsequently built the first Council Chambers. Mays Hill Cemetery is the only cemetery in Holroyd and contains the graves of many well known families including the Paytens, Fullagars, Houisons, Downs, Ardills and Mustons. This cemetery was originally known as Western Road Cemetery. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2160. Merrylands is the largest suburb in Holroyd and is the central business area of the city. The name Merrylands was suggested by Arthur Todd Holroyd, the first Mayor, who named the railway station Merrylands after a family property in England. Holroyd acquired his land at Merrylands in 1855. It was part of the original Sherwood Estate, which was a grant of 1,165 acres made to William Sherwin on June 25 1831, and named after the famous forest in England. Arthur Holroyd purchased other nearby acres to extend his property. Earlier land grants had been made to Richard Atkins, John Bowman, Charles Walker, Benjamin Barrow and William Puckey. At the time of these early grants, the Governor had reserved a large section of land for churches and schools and much of the early part of the suburb of Merrylands was built on that land when subdivision began in the late 1860’s. Merrylands Road was approved in 1868 to join Warren and Woodville Roads. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988. Parts of this suburb have also been known as Gough Town and Loftus Park.
Postcode: 2145. Named after Pemulwuy (c. 1750-1802), Bidjigal clan leader and leader of the Indigenous resistance against European settlement in the Prospect, Toongabbie, Parramatta Georges River and Hawkesbury River areas from 1795 until his death. In February 2004 Holroyd City Council announced that former quarry and CSIRO sites at Prospect Hill would form the new suburb of Pemulwuy, recognising the Aboriginal significance of the site and the Aboriginal leader who played an important role in the history of the area. Property developers, Delfin advertise the property development as Nelsons Ridge, Pemulwuy, recognising Nelson Simmons Lawson, son of explorer William Lawson, and owner of the Greystanes Estate, on which Pemulwuy is located. Streets in this suburb are named after local Indigenous words and early land grantees. Driftway Drive is named after the drift way used by the CSIRO to move sheep about their sheep biology research site, and Reconciliation Drive is named in honour of the reconciliation conference held at Prospect Hill in 1805. This suburb was also known as Prospect
Postcode : 2145. Pendle Hill began to come to life when the railway came through the area in the 1880’s, although the station did not open until 12 April 1924. All of the suburb was originally part of the acreage owned by D’Arcy Wentworth. Mr George A. Bond purchased a large part of the farm, bounded by Pendle Way, Dunmore Street and Jones Street and lived in what is now Dunmore House. He established a cotton spinning mill on his property in 1923 and persuaded the railway authorities to build a platform so his employees would have easy walking from the railway station. Bond requested that the area be named Pendleton in Lancashire, the centre of England’s cotton industry, and Pendle Hill was the result. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
In 1788 Governor Arthur Phillip stood on a hill in this area and looked over the country toward the mountains in the west; he named the eastern side of the hill Bellevue. In 1789 Captain Watkin Tench, an officer of the marines who arrived with the First Fleet climbed to the top of the hill and saw the distant Blue Mountains. He was so enraptured by their rugged beauty that the rise was given the name of Tench’s Prospect Hill. Governor Phillip formed a farming settlement of at least 12 families in the Prospect area in 1791 granting land to convicts, some of whom had yet to finish serving their sentence. The dominant feature of the suburb today is the Prospect Reservoir. Part of the Upper Nepean water scheme completed in 1888, it conserves water for Sydney and suburbs. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988. See also: Greystanes and PemulwuyContent...
Postcode : 2164. Smithfield began its life as a village known as Chisholm’s Bush. In 1836 John Ryan Brennan was granted 1,650 acres upon which he built a large cattle yard and meat market. Because the major meat markets in both London and Dublin were called Smithfield, it was decided to call Brennan’s venture after the British markets’ names. The saleyards opened in 1841 and, although the project to establish a village around the yards failed, the name remained. The public school opened in 1850 and by the 1880’s Smithfield was well provided with churches, 3 denominations adding a burial ground adjacent to the church buildings. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2146. Toongabbie is an Aboriginal word meaning “a place near water” or “meeting of the waters”, and the area now called Old Toongabbie stands at the confluence of Toongabbee and Quarry Creeks. An old spelling of Toongabbee Creek, is often still used. Settlement began here in 1791 when Governor Phillip established a farm on which many convicts were employed. On 1st April 1794, the first grants recorded as “in the district of Toongabbie” were made. By 1804 it was used only for cattle grazing and as a camp for convicts working in the area. Many of the early settlers created orchards on the land and more were established when the Western railway line came through in 1880, linking Toongabbie with the thriving town of Granville. One of Australia’s famous explorers was born at Toongabbie on 18 June 1797. He was Hamilton Hume who, with William Hilton Hovell, explored the route overland to Port Phillip in Victoria and back in 1824-25. Hamilton Hume died at Yass on 19 April 1873, an area he helped to discover. The original district cemetery, known as Mays Hill Cemetery is nearby. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2145. Wentworthville is named after D’Arcy Wentworth, father of William Charles Wentworth of Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth fame. D’Arcy Wentworth arrived as the surgeon on the Second Fleet convict transport “Neptune” in 1790. In 1810 D’Arcy Wentworth received a land grant to which he added by purchase until he held 2,750 acres. He called the estate Fitzwilliam Place and the house Wentworth Wood House, after an English property of that name owned by Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. In the 1840’s a highly respected citizen William Fullagar established the Star Inn near Ettalong and Western Road. This inn was the social centre of the day. Fullagar also opened, in 1845, what were for many years the principal cattle saleyards in the colony. The suburb’s railway platform opened as T. R. Smith’s Platform in 1883. The name was changed to Wentworthville on 1 August 1885. The line cut through the Wentworth Estate and in the 1880’s subdivision of the land began. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.
Postcode : 2145. The name of this suburb combines the old English word “mead” and “west” indicating its location just west of Parramatta. The present suburb of Westmead was originally the western part of the former domain of Government House at Parramatta. The remains of the domain are now Parramatta Park. The name Westmead was not used until 1859 when the first part of the domain was subdivided. Subdivision of the domain was completed in 1889. Following this subdivision, orchards were established by many new settlers, including some whose names were well-known in the Parramatta area – George Oakes, Nat Payten and William Fullagar among them. Although the railway had gone through Westmead in 1861, the suburb did not have a railway station. Early in 1883 residents successfully petitioned the Railways Department for a station and by April of that year Westmead became the newest station on the western line from Sydney. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.Content...
Widemere was once used as a suburb name in the early part of the century, located in the south-west corner of the Municipality of Holroyd, with connections to Prospect (Blacktown) and Fairfiield. Widemere is attributed to the property name of the Hyland family who lived in the area. The Sydney & Suburban Blue Metal Quarries Ltd operated the Widemere Quarry on the south side of Prospect Hill. From October 1925, an eight kilometre tram line operated from this quarry and terminated at the railway yards near Fairfield station, to transport excavated material from the quarry for distribution on the main rail line. The Widemere Quarry line ceased operation in 1945. Widemere is remembered by Widemere Public School located in Nemesia Street, Widemere Reserve in Gardenia Parade, and Widemere Road, Wetherill Park (in the Fairfield LGA).
Postcode : 2164. This small suburb possibly received its name from Woodpark Road, called after an early estate. The street have all been named after flowers, such as Hibiscus, Azalea, Dahlia, Viola etc. There are three small reserves in the suburb and Sherwood Grange Public School and Holroyd High School are nearby. Main pipes of the Sydney Water supply pass through this suburb. The main pipeline from Warragamba Dam runs parallel with Woodpark Road on its south side and with the Sydney water supply canal to the north. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.Content...
Postcode : 2161. This comparatively small suburb between the local government areas of Fairfield and Holroyd has an Aboriginal name meaning “to stroll”. In 1927 when the railway line from Granville to Liverpool was constructed the platform in this area was given the name Yennora. It eventually serviced the suburb’s wool stores, built in 1971. The Yennora Wool Centre receives wool in its greasy state, prepares it for sale, arranges inspection by wool brokers, prepares the wool that has been sold for export in containers, and conducts wool sales twice a year. Source: Frances Pollon: The Book of Sydney Suburbs, 1988.