Joining the Library
Becoming a member of Cumberland Council Library Service means you can benefit from its high-quality resources and facilities. Joining is free.
You can join by visiting your local Library branch and providing one piece of original identification that shows your residential address. You will then receive your Library card on the spot.
Suitable identification includes:
- Driver’s licence
- Photo ID card
- Healthcare card
- Bill or bank statement (less than three months old)
- Rental agreement
Visitors to our Libraries
If you live outside the Sydney metropolitan area, you are able to use our on-site Library facilities, such as computers and printers, without needing to join. You will need to show us some residential address identification.
Under 18s or adults with special needs
If you are under 18 years of age you are required to have a parent or guardian sign your application form at the Library branch. Proof of name and current residential address will be required.
Organisations responsible for adults with special needs must provide a letter at the time of registration. The letter must state their relationship to the applicant and their willingness to take responsibility for the use of the card.
Borrowing Library Items
- You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Replacement fees apply for lost, damaged or stolen items.
How to Borrow
• Bring your Library card with you whenever you wish to borrow
• Download e-books and audiobooks online at holroyd.lib.overdrive.com
• Download e-magazines from our Zinio service at www.rbdigital.com/holroyd
• Borrow from the Toy Library by paying an annual membership fee
Items can be renewed twice if they are not reserved for another person
• Items can be renewed over the phone, in person or online at Cumberland Council Library Catalogue
If you have not renewed your items one week after the due date, your card will be blocked. You will need to return your items or contact staff to unlock your card.
Requesting or Reserving Items
You can place a hold on an item using the Library’s catalogue. Any items not currently held by the Library can be requested as an inter-library loan or you can recommend that we add it to our collection.
Lost, damaged or stolen items
You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Replacement fees apply for lost, damaged or stolen items.
All items, except Toy Library items, can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
The following collections have lending limits:
- 10 State Library items per card
- 10 magazines per card
- Toys as per subscription
How many holds and I allowed?
You are allowed to have 10 holds per card. Holds will be held at the nominated branch for 7 days.
To access our online services and your account, use your Library card as your logon ID. Your password is your date of birth entered as YYMMDD.
Using the Library Catalogue
The Cumberland Council Library Service online catalogue helps you find the right Library resources for your needs. The catalogue allows you to:
- Find what is available in our Libraries
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items
- Requesting or reserving items, including through inter-library loans
- Access online resources, including e-books and audiobooks.
- Discover suggested reading lists, including recommended children’s’ books and the latest best-sellers