Find out when your bins will be emptied
Use the map tool to locate collection days in your suburb and learn what does and does not belong in your bins.
- If you live in a unit or apartment, please phone Council on 02 8757 9000.
- If you live in a house, or a townhouse, find your bin days by entering your address into our Bin Day Map Tool below.
Bin day map tool
Bin day map tool
How to use the bin day map tool
- Click on the bin map tool link.
- Read and accept the conditions of use to access the bin map tool.
- Select the bin type you are searching on the left side of the screen.
- Click the property address button towards the bottom of the page, a box will appear.
- Start typing your address into the box and select from the drop down addresses supplied. Select your address and click on search.
- Your red lid bin day will be displayed on the right of the screen. Click the collection day on the right of the screen to download your yellow lid or green lid bin calendar.
Things you should know
What goes in each bin
Your red garbage bin is for general waste and is used for small, everyday household items that are broken or need to be thrown away. Please throw away as little as possible.
Your yellow recycling bin is for glass, plastic and metal containers from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. Please make sure these are empty. If in doubt, leave it out.
Your green garden bin is for grass clippings, leaves, twigs and small branches. Not for food waste.
Download yellow and green bin calendars
The calendar for your yellow and green bin days can be downloaded after you have entered your address into the Map Tool.
Look for the link in the Map Tool on the right-hand side of the page to download the calendar.
We recommend putting your red garbage bin, yellow recycling bin and green garden bin out the night before collection days.
Ensure bins get emptied
Make sure the lids shut easily and your bins are placed on the kerbside.
Their fronts must be facing the road. If the bins are overfull or in the wrong place, they may not be emptied.
Order a new or additional bin
To request a new bin service for a new property or an additional service please download, complete and return the following form to Council.
- Domestic Waste Service Form (PDF, 76KB)
Bin stickers, posters and flyers
You can order bin lid stickers and flyers from Council to help with recycling and waste management at home.
If you live in a unit and would like some brochures to help residents with recycling, and other waste management issues, call our Resource Recovery Team on 02 8757 9000.
The cost of waste removal
If you own your property, you will notice a Domestic Waste Charge (DWC) listed on your rates notice from Council. It covers:
- waste and recycling collection
- general clean up collections
- treatment and disposal of waste
How your waste is treated
Once collected, your garbage goes to the Eastern Creek Resource Recovery Park
- It then goes to UR-3R, an Alternative Waste Technology facility, for sorting and treating
- Only waste that decomposes safely goes to landfill
- Waste that does not decompose easily gets special treatment and is disposed of properly
Once collected, items in your recycling bin go to VISY’s Material Recycling Facility in Smithfield. They are separated into categories and go to different facilities for reprocessing and to be sold.
Once collected, your garden waste goes to the Suez Organics Facility at Eastern Creek and turned into compost.
Find out more
For more information about Council Waste Collection services phone 02 8757 9000 or read about Council's Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy 2018 to 2023
The online materials provided by Cumberland City Council are intended for general information purposes only. Council does not warrant or make any claim regarding the accuracy, completeness or authenticity of the Material. Any person using or relying upon the Material does so on the basis that Council shall bear no responsibility for any errors, faults, defects or omissions in the Material. Council will not accept liability for any loss or damage directly or indirectly suffered as a result of any use of, or reliance upon, the Material.