Bushcare is an environmental conservation program where Volunteers are encouraged to participate, maintain and learn about Cumberland’s Bushcare corridors.
This is a community based program that offers a great way to meet other residents while doing something worthwhile for the environment.
The program is coordinated and supported by Cumberland City Council.
- Bushcare does not operate on Public Holidays
- Wet weather cancellations are made no later the 12pm the day before on a Friday.
- Undertake bush regeneration activities in consultation with and as directed by Volunteer Supervisor
- Manual removal, (pull/ dig out or “crown”)
- Composting weeds onsite
- Revegetation by planting Report any problems or concerns to your supervisor
- Ability to work and participate cooperatively with Council Staff and other volunteers
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality in performing work duties
- Planting, seed collection and flora observation
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with staff and other volunteers
- Follow policies, procedures and practices
- Contribute to continuous improvement by involvement in volunteer training, planning days, and feedback mechanisms.
What you need
- Interested in preservation of bushland
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Friendly and patient
- Ability to work outdoor in various weather conditions
- Commitment to work within the guidelines/legislation relevant to this position
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality in performing
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly
- Willingness to further attend trainings
- Weed and native plant identification
- Knowledge of weed control techniques
If you are passionate about the environment and want to help preserve and restore local ecosystems, apply to join one of our active bushcare groups along Duck River or the Lower Prospect Canal Reserve.
Bushcare Volunteer Application Form (PDF, 288KB)
Would you like to become a Bushcare Volunteer?
Contact the Open Space Liaison and Technical Officer
Miss Emma Higgins
Phone: 8757 9621
Contact Council’s Volunteering and Employment Pathways officer, through one of the following options:
Phone: 8757 9000
- Auburn Service Centre, 1 Susan Street, Auburn
- Merrylands Service Centre, 16 Memorial Avenue, Merrylands
Post: Cumberland City Council, PO Box 42, Merrylands NSW 2160