Greening our city
More trees mean cooler suburbs, improved air quality and more habitat to support birds and wildlife. That’s why we’re excited to have received a share of $10 million to plant more trees, as part of the NSW Government’s Greening Our City grants.
The NSW Government has committed to increase tree canopy cover across Greater Sydney. The growing urban tree canopy will be formed by a mix of native and exotic, deciduous or evergreen trees, providing shade in summer while allowing sun-light into homes and onto roofs for solar power, particularly in winter.
We have been working on a range of innovative projects to reduce urban heat within Cumberland City and plant as many trees as we can!
Greening Cumberland City, one tree at a time.
Benefits of trees
For more information on benefits of trees:
- Visit our Urban Tree Management Strategy webpage or
- The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s Greening Our City website
Greening town centres
Greening streets – adopt a tree
1,000 trees for Cumberland City
Trees are tops
Trees are tops, and vital to our City. Watch this video to find out more.
Trees improve our environment by:
- Removing pollution and improving air quality
- Providing us with oxygen
- Reducing the effects of climate change
- Filtering pollutants from storm water through the canopy, trunks and roots
- Providing wildlife with food and homes
Trees contribute to our health by:
- Reducing the risk of diabetes by 43%, cardiovascular disease and stroke by 37% and depression by 25%.
- Children who spend more time in nature grow up to be happier adults and perform better at school.
- Trees promoting feelings of relaxation and well-being.
Trees improve our urban areas by:
- Cooling the surrounding area
- Reducing the urban heat island effect
- Helping reduce crime
- Adding to the character or history of a space or suburb
- Helping us save up to 12-15% on electricity.
- Reducing temperatures up to 8 °C.
Trees increase property values
- Home buyers are prepared to pay over $35,000 extra for a house in a green leafy area.
- A 10% increase in street tree canopy can increase the value of a property by an average of $50,000.
- The value of one tree to a residential property is approximately $5,000.
For more information contact us on 02 8757 9000.
These projects are part of the Greening Our City grant program that is proudly funded by the NSW Government in association with Local Government NSW.