The Cumberland Family History Collection
This collection comprises a range of printed material and digital items of interest for genealogical research.
Where to view the collections:
- Merrylands Library, Tony Maston Room, Level 3, Cnr Miller and Newman Streets, Merrylands NSW 2160
- Auburn Library, Level 2, 1 Susan Street, AUBURN NSW 2144
The collections include guides, general and thematic histories, pioneer registers, cemetery publications, newspapers and records to assist in researching family history sourced from electoral rolls, local historical material, street directories, newsletters and other resources on microfilm, microfiche or CD-ROM such as convict records, shipping records and Sands Directories.
Please note these are reference collections which can only be used at the library, although certain items can be copied for research purposes. Selected local and family history publications are also available in lending and reference collections at all of our libraries. It is recommended that you check the library catalogue before visiting to determine which branch the information you require is located at. View the library catalogue here.
Cumberland City Council Library Service has access to a range of online resources available to Library members to help with family and local history research, including popular genealogy databases:
Please note these two databases can only be accessed via the public computers at Cumberland City Council’s libraries.
Cumberland City Council Library Service also subscribes to two UK Family History magazine titles that are available for loan:
- Family Tree Magazine
- Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
DVDs of the popular Who Do You Think You Are? television series are available for loan in the DVD collections.
Other useful links
- Family History Connections (AIGS)
- Society of Australian Genealogists
- Shirley Hornbeck’s Relationship Chart
- State Library Family History Service
- NSW State Archives and Records Family History Guide
- National Library of Australia - Family History Guide
- NSW Births, Deaths & Marriages – Historical Indexes
- TROVE – digitised resources from the National Library of Australia’s collections and digitised Australian newspapers
If you require further information about the Local Studies or Family History collections, or the history of the Cumberland area, please contact Local and Family History Library staff at either Merrylands or Auburn:
Merrylands Library – 02 8757 9065
Auburn Library – 02 8757 9060