Cumberland City Council offers 76 self-care units to eligible seniors in the region, allowing them to live independently for longer.
These units are one bedroom, large enough for two people, and studios for individual occupants. They are also on ground level or the first floor, making them easier to access.
To be eligible for accommodation
- Must be living or working in the Cumberland Local Government Area for at least 6 months. You will need evidence of this.
- Must be in receipt of government benefits
- Must be aged over 55 years old
- Must not own property at the time of Application
- Must have applied to the Department of Housing and be able to produce a customer reference number
- Must be willing to undergo a medical assessment
How units are allocated
Council has a waiting list for all units. Assessment of applications, however, is based on need. Priority will be given to applicants who are at risk of becoming homeless.
Also, one bedroom units will be given to couples and single applicants will generally be offered a studio.
Where the units are
The units are based at:
- Euston Road, Auburn NSW 2144 (shared laundry facility for residents)
- Tavistock Street, Auburn NSW 2144 (shared laundry facility for residents)
- Church Street, Lidcombe NSW 2141
- Platform Street, Lidcombe NSW 2141
- One accessible unit at Council’s Euston Road block.
For more information or to receive an application form, call Cumberland City Council’s Access and Inclusion Officer on 02 8757 9577.
Apply for the NDIS for Government financial assistance
Consider a NSW Companion Card if you need a high level of care and help to participate in activities
Download Cumberland Council’s Disability Inclusion Action Plan